Old April 30th 04, 11:21 PM
Jack Painter

"joe" wrote in message ...
I am thinking of buying a beam antenna for HF.
I have been told that some antennas have earthing straps and some dont.

The antenna I have seen is a tribander with traps for 10-15-20. It has no
earthing strap on.
If I were to put an earthing strap on to the braid side first to the pole
then earth the pole.

Will this A, give me protection against lightning and B, improve signals
recieved.
Will there be any other effect. ie: swr etc.

I understand the middle element is a driven element, with an insulator on
and there is a director and reflector.

Hi Joe,

So many folks in this group were of incredible help to me in learning about
lightning protection, I hope you find similar assistance.

There is no example I am aware of where an antenna of a fixed-land facility
can avoid an earth ground and still obtain it's design efficiency _or_ be
safely attached to any structure. Grounding is vital to both. From the help
and discussions that started here, I prepared a collection of information
that turned into a web site for station grounding (one of hundreds out
there). But here it is if it will help you, I'm happy.
http://members.cox.net/pc-usa/ground1.htm

73's

Jack
Virginia Beach VA