Old May 1st 04, 06:09 PM
Richard Clark

On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 02:17:12 GMT, "The other John Smith"
wrote:

I presume your source offers a 50 Ohm output Z. There is nothing like
a mismatched source looking at a mismatched load to increase confusion
by the square.

What is the output impedance of an amateur transmitter? I see arguments all
the time about this. And even so, what will be the result if it is not
matched? If there are reflections from the source, it will show up in the
composite forward voltage which will be the reference anyway. Is this not
so?

Hi John,

By virtue of Wes' providing you a copy of AN 77-3 and to further offer
you disclosure on the significant contributors of error, consider:
http://metrologyforum.tm.agilent.com/download.shtml

As part of the suite of calculators of error offered there, you will
find the answer to your question above. The "arguments" that you have
so closely observed are fundamentally forced naivete (much too long in
the tooth to be taken seriously). This is simply the consequence of
armchair debate squirming in the face of experience. ;-)

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC