Old May 4th 04, 01:54 AM
Rob

Hi Ed,

Thanks for the post. Well I considered the SteppIR dipole instead of the
vertical. But my Tower is a self supporting TV Tower. It isn't that
strong. It handled the R7000 without any problems. But I fear that extra
windload of a dipole (or my dream yagi!) would be too much. (One day I will
put up a real tower and a yagi!)

I like the low DX angle and omni directional pattern of a vertical. I live
in the country so QRN is not a big problem.

I have found that the R7000 vertical worked much better up 45 feet than
mounted 8 feet from the ground (as recommended by Cushcraft).

I would like to avoid traps and go with a STeppIR vertical. But only the
small StepppIR vertical can be mounted practically on a Tower.

If I want 40m and 30 m coverage, I need the BigIR and mount it near the
ground. (Possibly using my elevated deck as support and using the bottom of
the deck to support the radials).

Decisions.. Decisions.

Rob

Old Ed wrote:
Hi Rob -

You might talk to the SteppIR folks about using one of their DIPOLES
on your tower. It could probably be mounted vertically if you were
so inclined.

If I were going to try that, I would try it first without a balun,
and make sure
the dipole leg adjacent to the tower was connected to the shield side.
But you could be assured that the dipole would work killer in the
conventional
horizontal orientation, IF the airspace it occupies isn't a problem
for you.

Have fun es 73, Ed

"Rob" wrote in message
. ..
I am now in the market for a new vertical after my old R7000 was hit
by lightning.

My old R7000 was mounted on a 45 foot Tower. (At this height, the
antenna worked great!)

I am considering purchasing a SmallIR vertical (from
www.steppir.com) and mounting it on this 45 foot tower with radials
dropping downward from the tower. I won't be able to easily guy the
vertical but it would appear that it is pretty strong with a 80 MPH
wind survival rating without radials.

Is it a good idea to install the SmallIR on top of a 45 foot Tower?
Has anyone successfully used the SmallIR vertical mounted on a 45
foot Tower?

I am also considering purchasing the BigIR vertical. But if its
guying requirements, I won't be able to mount it on the Tower.
Instead, I am thinking of using my elevated deck as a support. My
Back wooden deck is about 9 foot off the ground with a 4 foot fence
and some posts about 7 feet tall. I am thinking of mounting the
antenna feed point about 8 to 9 feet off the ground and use the
bottom of the deck to install radials. I will use the post to
provide additional support instead of using guy wires.

Will this work? (I realise I will have to fiddle with the length
of the radials)

73's
Rob
Quebec