Old January 18th 05, 04:54 PM
Antonio Vernucci

What you say is specifically true for receivers; it is obvious, no =
reason to try and see it as you suggest. But that is not true in the =
general case (e.g. transceivers).

Moreover, using a resistor, voltage will only drop only once tubes will =
have warmed up and drain current. With a zener instead voltage will =
immediately drop (e.g. any minimal load caused by an high-value resistor =
anywhere in the circuit will be sufficient to have the zener dropping =
voltage).=20

In some cases it is important to NEVER reach a voltage higher than =
specified. I had a bad experience at that regard with 6146Ws fed by a =
Collins power supply where the vacuum rectifier had been substituted by =
a solid state one. Two new 6146Ws immediately flashed and were damaged. =
A zener diode solved the problem.

73

Tony, I0JX=20

***In the vast majority of receivers that I have come across,the power =

supply loading is more or less constant,the main drain being by the =

audio=20
output stage which is almost universally a class A amplifier.Hence =

power=20
supply regulation is
of no consequence as the load is static.Fitting a resistor will drop a =

constant number of Volts,try it and see.
=20
Brian Goldsmith.=20
=20