Old December 30th 04, 05:07 PM
Frank Gilliland

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 16:46:42 GMT, Lancer wrote in
. com:

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 16:17:01 -0800, Frank Gilliland
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:55:16 -0600, itoldyouiamnotiamnotgeorge
wrote in
:

Frank Gilliland wrote in
:

Current equalizing resistors is another way to do it. It's common
practice in SS audio amps to use emitter resistors to equalize the
currents between parallel transistors. But I would hesitate using them
with modern alternators because I don't know how it would screw with
the regulators -- some have a local sense line and others have a
remote sense line -- a resistor in the load might send the regulator
into seizures.

Frank it is very easy a single regulator will control the field voltage on
both alternators. This way they would run the same and share the "Load"

I thought about that, but wouldn't the rotors need to be locked in
phase?

Phase? The control voltage is DC, the outputs are DC, am I missing
something? I know that the output of an alternator isn't "pure' DC,
but it will never be 180 degrees out.

Auto alternators are three-phase alternators. As such, the rectified
output never drops to zero, but it does have significant ripple. The
regulator obviously controls the DC component. So I guess the question
is if the regulator also smooths the ripple. If it does then parallel
alternators must be locked in phase. But if it just controls the DC
component then current equalizing resistors will do the job (although
I would think about putting a ripple filter on the sense lines).