Old May 5th 04, 02:23 AM
Dave Shrader

basketball_jones wrote:

Jim Kelley wrote in message ...

basketball_jones wrote:

Do I still lose money when I get to pay the
LEAST?

I think what you need is a book on the business of manufacturing. The
price is basically going to fit a line y = mx + b. Think of b as a
tooling charge. The unit cost is m. x is the number of units, and y is
what you pay per lot.

73, Jim AC6XG

Excellent, thanks, now, what is the rough equation for 'm' vs volume for PCBs?

I hope you are kidding !!!!

Contact the vendors and get a price schedule showing price breaks as a
function of layers, area and quantity of boards.

Do you want finished boards, or will you cut boards from a master sheet,
etc.?

What level of quality control is required? If you are selling into the
NASA or Military market there are VERY SIGNIFICANT documentation,
traceability requirements, and QC requirements and certifications
required. Even to controlling the exact chemistry of the board material.

Depending on your customer your unit material cost may be buried in
recurring paper costs. I'm an expert in this area {Program Chief
Engineer, USAF WS-118, RS/RV ... MX Missile]