Old December 31st 04, 02:34 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 17:39:10 -0600, itoldyouiamnotiamnotgeorge
wrote in
:

Frank Gilliland wrote in
:

On Thu, 30 Dec 2004 14:59:40 GMT, Lancer wrote in
:

Frank Gilliland wrote:

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 17:55:16 -0600, itoldyouiamnotiamnotgeorge
wrote in
:

Frank Gilliland wrote in
om:

Current equalizing resistors is another way to do it. It's common
practice in SS audio amps to use emitter resistors to equalize the
currents between parallel transistors. But I would hesitate using
them with modern alternators because I don't know how it would
screw with the regulators -- some have a local sense line and
others have a remote sense line -- a resistor in the load might
send the regulator into seizures.

Frank it is very easy a single regulator will control the field
voltage on
both alternators. This way they would run the same and share the
"Load"

I thought about that, but wouldn't the rotors need to be locked in
phase?

Phase? The control voltage is DC, the output is DC, am I missing
something?

The control (field) current is fluctuating DC, isn't it? Isn't that
how the regulator smooths the output (which would be fluctuating DC if
the field current was steady)?

When the rectified DC from each of the three-phase windings is added
together, the peaks overlap to produce a much cleaner DC with much less
ripple. Lead-acid auto batteries last longer when charged with pure DC
than high ripple rectified DC. Three-phase windings were designed into
alternators to produce DC of great purity.

When you quote someone else it's good practice to cite the source:

http://mysite.verizon.net/res00d4r/a...or_Theory.html