Old January 8th 05, 05:36 AM
Frank Gilliland

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 05:19:54 GMT, "Landshark"
wrote in :

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:57:27 -0500, (Twistedhed)
wrote:

From:
(Dave Hall) wrote:
The "DX" has nothing to do with the amount of splatter and the
distortion a signal may have. The only effect that "DX" may have is
heterodyning of co-channel signals. In any case, when my observations
were made, the "DX" was not running heavy enough that a clean sample
of any particular transmission could not be made.

Ummm, no Dave. DX has everything to do with DX splatter.

He's right, Dave. You can receive more than one skip signal from the
same transmission, and their phasing can cause intermodulation
distortion in any RF stage of your receiver. All that's required is
enough non-linearity in just one stage and the signals will modulate
each other. The result is what appears to be splatter but is really a
fault of the receiver. Happens all the time with cheap shortwave
radios. And DX doesn't have to be up to get a good signal -- I have
heard many clear DX signals from seemingly dead bands.