Old January 11th 05, 04:33 PM
Dave Hall

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 03:48:46 GMT, "Landshark"
wrote:

"Lancer" wrote in message
On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 05:19:54 GMT, "Landshark"
wrote:

"Dave Hall" wrote in message
On Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:57:27 -0500, (Twistedhed)
wrote:

From:
(Dave Hall) wrote:
The "DX" has nothing to do with the amount of splatter and the
distortion a signal may have. The only effect that "DX" may have is
heterodyning of co-channel signals. In any case, when my observations
were made, the "DX" was not running heavy enough that a clean sample
of any particular transmission could not be made.

Ummm, no Dave. DX has everything to do with DX splatter.

The only thing DX has to do with DX splatter is that if "DX" isn't
running you wouldn't hear it.

Probably, but if you have a 100 radio's and a third of
them are running their modulation clipped, then you
will hear it even worse, correct?

Splatter or out of bounds emissions are those falling outside the
normal bandwidth of a signal and are the result of modulation.

Correct

DX doesn't cause splatter it allows it to propgate farther.

Correct. When you have a lot more radio's trying to talk
on one freq, don't you think that it will now increase your
adjacent channel splatter?

Ok, so if I understand you correctly, you are now making the case
that I cannot identify the exact station which is creating the
splatter due to the sheer number of competing stations. Ok, you have a
valid point in some cases. In many cases all you have is combined
"noise", and it's impossible to distinguish any one individual. On the
other hand, especially on channel 6, there is always one or two
stations which stand out head and shoulders above the pack. You can
plainly hear his splatter on adjacent channels. Those are the guys who
I base my observations on.

Remember, I never said that *all* the stations on channel 6 are
illegal, just the loud and proud ones.

Then there is also the issue of aggregate signal differences. If the
average noise/signal level on most of the 40 channels is running
around S8, and while on channel 6, it is +10db over S9, that suggests
that the average power level of the users there is at a higher level
than those on the other channels. Skip doesn't favor any one channel
(in a band as small as the CB band) over another so the conditions
should be the same on all the channels.

Dave
"Sandbagger"