Old January 14th 05, 02:09 AM
Vinnie S.

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 01:45:00 GMT, Lancer wrote:

Barefoot or not, an attic is probably the worst place to put an
antenna. You have all kinds of possible problems, not the least of
which is house wiring or foil-backed insulation that can cause
reflections (high SWR).

There is also the issue of polarity. Almost all mobile CB antennas are
vertical so don't expect strong signals from a horizontal antenna, or
even an inverted-V which is largely horizontal. You might get some
skip but that depends a lot on the position of the antenna -- you
might have to rotate your house to align yourself with the traffic.

I would think your best solution is to buy a cheap antenna tuner and
load up the flag pole, rain gutter, drip-strip, sewer vent, aluminum
siding, chain-link fence, steel shed..... whatever works best.

Vinnie;
You said you lived on a ranch? Use Franks tuner idea, run a wire
out the window and tie the other end to a fence post, your wifes
clothes line pole or anything else above eye level.

I don't have a clothesline. I am thinking about running it vertical up a tree,
but would have to trench the coax.

Also, I have ground hogs, moles, and rabbits everywhere. Won't they chew up the
coax?

Vinnie S.