Old June 24th 03, 07:36 AM
John Dyson

"Alexander S. Wood" wrote:

"John Dyson" wrote in message
"Alexander S. Wood" wrote:

"Dr. John" wrote in message
Seems justifiable based on his past experience. Paranoia, meet

cynicism.

John

Given what I hear from the American contributors to this and other NG's,
I'll be exercising a little "paranoia" of my own when I holiday in your

fine
country later this year. We might be forgiven for getting the idea that
possessing either off-white skin, a foreign passport, or failing to wear

"I
love George Bush" T-Shirts in public places were all capital offences.

It is worrisome when an 'I love George Bush' T-Shirt would cause
problems. That might SOMETIMES have a different meaning than
'I love Bill Clinton' also :-).

I didn't say wearing one would cause trouble - what I said was NOT wearing
one when out in public would.

That is really a weird claim, and is the reason why I tried to interpret
it in the way that I did. Perhaps you should try to 'understand' the
situation instead of making such a wierd claim? I do fully understand
the extremely biased hate-mongering media, and also fully recognize that
the hate-mongering media is taking further advantage of the populace whose
education about America is mostly based upon Hollywood nonsense. It
would be good to avoid being fearful of a slight amount of American
patriotism. It is the Americans who are the victims of disinformation
that leads to observations like 'not wearing certain T-Shirts might
cause a certain problem.'

The true 'chauvinism' is that which is being perpetrated against the
US by the biased and dishonest media that misleads the non-US public
against the US. The US DEFINITELY has some faults, but a knowledge
base that comes from Hollywood and disgustingly misleading anti-US
press (and also anti-centrist/anti-rightwing) isn't really a knowledge
base, but is a stupidity base. Using a 'European' viewpoint when
interpreting US politics could lead to really wierd conclusions... For
example, the often Xenophobic European right-wing has little in
common with the majority of the US right-wing (which doesn't tend
to be as Xenophobic.)

John