Old May 9th 04, 03:57 AM
Mike Coslo

Brian Howie wrote:

In message , Larry Gagnon
writes

I need to solder a new section of 14 gauge copper antenna wire to a
very old section of wire that is highly tarnished and very old. Other
than pulling each strand apart and attempting to sand off the tarnish
is there an easier way to remove it so that I can solder it
effectively?

I used to use something known here in the UK as "Baker's Fluid" . It's a
mixture of zinc and ammonium chloride. The salt and vinegar trick
mentioned below works, but it depends how bad the tarnishing is.

Make sure to clean that wire off really well after soldering it. All
these suggestions are basically putting acid flux on the wires.

- Mike KB3EIA -