Old July 21st 03, 10:41 AM
Frank

^ A GMRS radio, even the cheapy ones in the blister
^ packs, will put out more power than legally allowed ...

The radios I've looked at have two power settings and the instructions
explain that the higher power setting can only be used with a license. I
don't thing the FCC would certify them otherwise.

^ Because of this, you need the license, even to transmi
^ of the "FRS channels".

Only if you use the higher power setting.

The FCC should not have permitted the two bands combined in one radio. They
must've known that violations would be more common than not and licenses
would be few. My guess us that they intend to eventually combine GMRS and FRS
as FRS and omit the licensing requirement. Similar to what happened with the
HF CB band.

Frank