Old July 22nd 03, 08:22 PM
PowerHouse CB & Scanner

"Frank" wrote in message
news:01c34f6c$325688a0$0125250a@lktnlsvecoydbmks.. .

^ A GMRS radio, even the cheapy ones in the blister
^ packs, will put out more power than legally allowed ...

The radios I've looked at have two power settings and the instructions
explain that the higher power setting can only be used with a license. I
don't thing the FCC would certify them otherwise.

The radios cannot be used as FRS because they are _capable_ of being
operated at a higher power setting, which is a clear violation of the rules
set out for FRS. Because of this the operator MUST have a license, even if
they are using the lower power setting.

^ Because of this, you need the license, even to transmi
^ of the "FRS channels".

Only if you use the higher power setting.

The FCC should not have permitted the two bands combined in one radio.

They
must've known that violations would be more common than not and licenses
would be few. My guess us that they intend to eventually combine GMRS and

FRS
as FRS and omit the licensing requirement. Similar to what happened with

the
HF CB band.

See, that's where everyone is confused. They bands are NOT combined. The
radios only have a _portion_ of the FRS band, not the whole thing. The ONLY
reason they have a portion is because the two bands happen to overlap each
other, as set forth by the FCC rules. Like I said above, the radios can not
be used without a license because they do not comply with the rules set
forth for FRS radios which are license free. They do, however, comply with
the rules set forth for GMRS, which does require a license...

PH