Old May 9th 04, 07:45 PM
zeno

Interesting responses. This is a great group.

Theoretically, if "neutrals" (eg. the center taps of the step down
transformer's secondary) were not grounded anywhere on the Earth, would the
Earth still act as the return path?

My intuition says yes simply because of the mass of the Earth. If you have a
static charge, for example, it discharges to the ground (or any body of mass)
it comes in contact with. So if I had a static charge I can get that current to
flow to the Earth or any body of a lower potential. So the "return path" of the
Earth, in the strictest theoretical sense does not depend on the "neutrals"
being grounded, it is just the fact that the Earth is this large mass at a
lower potential. That the "neutrals" are grounded is an additional safety
factor. In the era of knob and tube wiring I cannot remember neutrals being
grounded the way they are today. There were just two wires going to the
outlets. Later it was determined that this was not always safe. This is my
simple understanding at the moment, but I am still digesting all the responses
here.

remember those funny little straps we attached under our cars supposedly to
eliminate those "zaps" from sliding over the car seats? hi hi

Bill K6TAJ