Old July 28th 03, 02:12 PM
Matt

Here in Aust we have a UHF CB band - 5 watts output (FM), and whatever type
of antenna you want (i.e. no limits on the ERP assuming max 5 watts output -
and yeah like many people have only 5 watts output). Even better, there is
a class licence applied to it, so no need to pay for one.
This system is used very frequently by our rural fire fighters (amongst many
other users) - most farmers have a UHF CB in their car/tractor/trucks, so it
provides a comms system that is reliable in short range coverage. During
our fires last summer here in Aust, I noticed that there were heaps of fire
fighting ops on the UHF CB - despite a pretty good system already being
provided for the use of the firies.

Matt

"Frank" wrote in message
news:01c354a3$12edc280$0125250a@vqurinyqcuazetxa.. .
Unauthorized GMRS use has suddenly become popular among public service
employees in my area. A few days ago I was listening to two deputy

sheriffs
keeping track of each other and two forest lookouts (husband/wife team)
helping a hiker with heat exhaustion. Today I'm listening to what seems

like
two entire firefighter strike teams cleaning up after a major wildland

fire.

Strike teams may travel great distances to help fight a fire so these

teams
might be from another area where they frequently use GMRS. The fire

covered
an area from about five to seven miles from my home and some of these guys
(and a gal) are booming in fairly loud. No station identifications, output
greater than 1/2 Watt

The forest lookout tower is about ten miles away.

No station identifications, power exceeds FRS limits, and the type of

usage
is unauthorized for both GMRS and FRS.

I actually think it's great; the radios are filling a valid need. I

suspect
that this is the sort of usage that the FCC expected (how could they

not?).
It's unfortunate for the old-time GMRS users though. The FCC should have
permitted one or two watts on FRS (instead of 0.5W) and not shared
frequencies with GMRS. As the facts are, I suspect that the FCC intends to
eventually eliminate the license requirement for GMRS and combine GMRS and
FRS into a single service. A replacement for CB. I wouldn't go out and buy
any expensive GMRS equipment unless you want to become a part of this.

Frank