Old May 11th 04, 04:40 AM
Reg Edwards

Jack, I got your message first time.

Juggling with antenna height, lengths and angles, perhaps even varying line
length, does indeed eventually obtain a 50-ohm load for the transmitter.
But the ONLY way of finding what the antenna impedance actually is is to get
up there and measure it in situ - out of idle curiosity. ;o)

Incidentally, the forward power indicated by the Bird is correct regardless
of SWR on the line simply because the impedance looking into the line is
near enough to 50 ohms. In this respect the meter behaves as intended.

And practically all of the power entering the line will eventually be
radiated because, although the SWR is not known, by virtue of the
near-to-resonance antenna(s) it cannot possibly be high enough to worry
about.

Fascinating subject! I've always been hooked on it. There's something
about transmission lines. Yet, believe it or not, I've never used a Smith
Chart in 60 years. Too unecessarily complicated.

Cecil, must pour myself a small nightcap of 2002 Merlot.
----
Reg, G4FGQ