Old May 11th 04, 12:51 PM
Reg Edwards

"Jan Van Belle" wrote in message
Hello all,

The last days I was searching for more info o how to build fratal
antennas on the web. But besides lots of links to fractenna.com and a few
powerpoint slides I found nothing.

Has anyone sucessfully build such an antenna for HF? Is anyone using it?

Kind regards,

Jan, ON5DOA

==================================

Fractal antennas at HF stay up long enough to discover they don't work any
better than multi-band dipoles. Or simple verticals.

The radiation patterns, of course, are somewhat modified but not enough to
make any practical difference. Particularly as they are not rotatable.
What's the point in having a rotable antenna which from one band to another
is omni-directional?

Efficiency-wise you can't improve on 95 to 98 percent anyway.

All this can be deduced just by looking at them. Like conventional antennas
they are just a few wires in space at various angles. How can an additional
bend in a wire have a significant effect?

But as you are a confirmed experimenter I guess I am unable to discourage
you from your next project. I'm sorry I do not have any antenna wire
dimensions readily at hand.

As for me, in my time I have had experience with a variety of dogs-hind-leg
fractals without being aware of it. Is an inverted-L a first-order fractal?
----
Reg, G4FGQ