Old May 11th 04, 01:22 PM
JLB

You are using a rope that absorbs RF energy and has a low temperature
melting point. There is a very high voltage electric field at the end of a
dipole which gets absorbed by the rope causing it to melt.

Spend more money on better quality rope. Stay away from 'poly' (or
polystyrene rope). Nylon is good (but stretches). Dacron is considered
better. Natural fiber ropes are very good (such as hemp). In general, if
it doesn't cleary identify what type of plastic it is, don't buy it.

I don't think an insulator would make much difference for this problem but
you should be using one anyway.

--
Jim
N8EE

to email directly, send to my call sign at arrl dot net
"Andy" wrote in message
Dipole keeps melting?

I've got a multi-band inverted V trap dipole antenna which as my first HF
antenna seems to working fine, I like the fact that can get away without a
tuner on most bands.

However I've just started getting into 80meters and the tip of the dipole
keeps melting the guy rope isolator hence the dipole leg falls to the
ground, only running 200watts, the antenna is rated for 1kw.

Everyone suggested its high SWR but not according to 3 different SWR

meters
(1.1:5) I always use a tuner built into the amp to give the perfect VSWR

but
after 10 seconds the melting starts and the VSWR starts to increase..

Any ideas?