Old May 11th 04, 01:41 PM
Cecil Moore

Andy wrote:
However I've just started getting into 80meters and the tip of the dipole
keeps melting the guy rope isolator hence the dipole leg falls to the
ground, only running 200watts, the antenna is rated for 1kw.

What happens at the tips of the dipole has virtually nothing to do with the
SWR at the transmitter. The voltage at the ends of the dipole for 200w will
be in the ballpark of 600 volts RMS, 1600 volts peak-to-peak.

What are your insulators made of? Change to glass and the problem will
probably go away. If you are in a salty environment near an ocean, that
will aggravate the problem. Sounds to me that you simply need better
quality insulators.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp