Old September 17th 03, 02:20 AM
N8KDV

Zombie Wolf wrote:

Uh, i "got that notion" from every single book on the subject, i own, from
about 30 years of antenna experimenting, winding my own baluns, building my
own beam, vertical, loop, and horizontal dipole, zepp, and other antennas. I
might ask YOU where YOU got the notion that "RF ground and DC ground are two
seperate things". They most certainly are not. ground, my friend, is ground,
period. if you are going to ground the signal element of an antenna,

Hardly true at all. The antennas that I use here on HF are all directly grounded
at the matching transformer. I could take you out back and we could run the
meter between the antenna itself and the ground rod and you would find it to be
a direct short. That's a DC ground, not an RF ground. Then I could take you
inside and have you try to tell me that reception was reduced. LOL

you are
going to either get nothing for a signal, or a highly reduced signal,
depending on just how long your ground path is. ground is a funny thing at
RF, and it becomes progressively more difficult to get a good one as the
frequenncy becomes higher. Yes, there have been antennas that were buried in
the ground, but that would refer to antennas that operate in frequency
ranges so low that it would have little or nothing to do with scanners !
(when was the last time you listened to 160 meters on YOUR scanner) ? I get
extremely tired of being second guessed by people who *** think *** they
know something, and know almost nothing about the subject under discussion,
and like to adopt an opposing, diametrically opposed view point on almost
everthing, like yourself, simply for the sake of being "different", and
stirring up trouble basically. I dont know where you studied antenna theory
, but what you had to say here is seriously "out to lunch". I am certain
that Bill Orr would be glad to argue with someone like you, he was the
author of quite a few thick tomes on this subject, and was world famous. I
wont waste the time on you. Sorry. Life is far too short to waste on this.
ground is ground. anyone who knows anything knows at least that.

"Bob Parnass" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 16:46:45 -0400, Zombie Wolf wrote:

No antenna is at DC ground, if it is going to function as an antenna.

Where did you get that notion?

DC ground and RF ground are two completely different attributes.

Bob Parnass, AJ9S GNU/Linux User http://parnass.com