Old May 12th 04, 08:35 AM

"Andy" wrote in message ...

However I've just started getting into 80meters and the tip of the dipole
keeps melting the guy rope isolator hence the dipole leg falls to the
ground, only running 200watts, the antenna is rated for 1kw.

Already some time ago I experienced the same thing, as I did not want
to use ceramic or glass insulators which would make my antenna
system(s) even more visible.

Now I am always using transparent 'Bic' ball-points for which I have
removed the the 'ink-cartridge'. Using this tranperent enclosure, on
both sides (using the small nail and the soldering iron) I melt 2
holes. At one I connect the antenna wire and at the other I connect
the guy rope. After using this solution I did not have these problems
any more, even using considerable power.

I do not know if these 'Bic' ball-points are available in the US, but
overhere in Europe they are widely used.
For an example picture I found the below url on the Internet:
"http://www.findaproperty.com/cgi-bin/story.pl?storyid=5985%20-%2015k"

Arie.

p.s. I almost forgot: All this has nothing to do with SWR