Old September 27th 03, 07:35 AM
Rich

Nick, I have a number of BC250 scanners and replaced that transistor with a
3 terminal regulator in all of them. They've been running that way for at
least 15 years.

I used 7808 - 8v regulators and used the 16v terminal on the On/Off switch.
I drilled a mounting hole in the chassis and ran the wires from there. The
collector of Q204 was the 16v line and the emitter is the 8.4v output.

The original transistor is a T.I. TIP 29

Rich

"Nick" wrote in message
Bob; I took out the power transistor with the 3 leads soldered and
can't find one now. Rat Shack does not have them and still looking on
net. It was real hot if that was proble, Allaround it seemed
blackened from heat but not blown. Hope that is what it is. Not even
sure of name. Would sit under the soldered side under the power
transformer and from the underside near the largest can capacitor and
has a tri axial lead near the squelch wire solder point. It has a
hole on top but no heat sink of any kind to disapapte that kind of
heat. Says from what is readable Texas Instruments and some number
but no rating etc. Any more help here. nick