Old October 7th 03, 02:38 AM
Gray Shockley

On Mon, 6 Oct 2003 13:42:01 -0500, Spurious Noise wrote:

But you made a very good point and to add to it -- a regular change of
passwords is a good idea also - which I now do.

Even safer is to just use one password once (keep a text file on your desktop
or hot-keyed).

My e-mail address is an alias from my provider and I change the alias every
2 months or so depending on spamming. I get very little spam these days. My
friends and relatives are very tolerant of frequent address changes.

One of my current web site providers allows two hundred e-mail addresses so
I'm thinking about setting up so I know which passwords (if not all sigh)
have been compromised. (however, that's really just curiosity).

I'm pretty crippled up most of the time so I can sit here a lot and it's
sorta fun to watch my spam program do its thing ("Spamfire" for the Macintosh
is a *great* program).

Also I ask friends never to send me an e-mail with several others in it --
(i.e., mass sending of jokes as everyone seems to like to do), rather I tell
them to send by using blind copy ONLY --- Bcc. This hides the recipient
list.

Sad commentary on today's society -- BUT one must take steps to prevent
spam, etc.

Oh, I hack some pretty weird people off (like "nazi's - not under Godwin) but
wacko's quoting their mental dwarf him/itself).

And then they help beta test my despammer grin.

Also if you put your e-mail address on a web page -- DO NOT PUT IT IN TEXT
FORM -- use a jpeg or gif.
Apparently the spiders can not read the @ sign when it is in picture form.

The spiders can't "read" an image - not any of it.

Think of an optical character reader (ocr) and you'll get the "image" dux.
It can read the pages but a "straight" ocr can't do a thing with graphics.

Anyway, I have been on line since 1985 and have always used my name and
city/state.

--
73 From the Spurious Noise ';';;';x":.,";"'

Gray Shockley
Entropy Maintenance Technician
Tao Chemical Company

http://www.cybercoffee.org/