Old October 11th 03, 08:58 AM
Mark Keith

"Dee D. Flint" wrote in message . com...
"Never anonymous Bud" wrote in message
Having skipped an E.L.F. meeting to be here, (Mark Keith)
scribbled:

Point is, CW is not used for marine emergencies anymore.

Says who? I or the victim in distress can use any mode we/they choose.
Thank you very much.

Well, knowing that the U.S. Coast Guard, and many other equivalent

services
in other countries DO NOT monitor CW any more, AND CW being slower and
more cumbersome than voice, you'd have to be pretty damned stupid to USE
CW in an emergency situation!

I couldn't find the original post, but....

Another one hung up on the coast guard...How many times does a person
have to say they have nothing to do with the frigging coast guard.
Jeez....Ham radio operators are INDIVIDUALS!!! Not a section of the
coast guard, GROL, or any other funky alphabet soup letters. The ONLY
time I will ever deal with the coast guard is if I call them on freq
myself, which I have done in the past. And CW is not slower and more
cumbersome to ME. Maybe to you 5 wpm slow pokes, but not my 55-60 wpm
ass. I'm like a frigging CW machine, and I don't even have to write it
down unless I need a hard copy for something.. Using CW to ME, is no
different than any other mode. Well unless the band is noisy or in bad
shape, then it's superior to most others. You no-code people need to
get a grip...I'll use whatever works the best at the time, or whatever
is first sent to me. If someone calls me on CW for help, I will stay
on CW unless they request otherwise. To do anything else would be
pretty damn stupid. Some qrp rigs are CW ONLY!!! I know that must chap
many asses all around the country, but you all need to get over it!

What are you going to use when HF propagation is too weak to support
voice???

They will whip out their 2m HT's. What else? This thread is
unbelievable...
Sheesh...Who gives a damn what mode I use, if I get the job done. And
I DO get the job done.

MK