Old May 12th 04, 03:03 PM
Crazy George

"Jack Painter"
snip
Btw I had a Power Quality engineer that I was discussing ground line
impedances with remind me that the same 1/4 wave phenomenon can happen in
runs of ground and bonding too. The same radial or parallel or "web" of
connections alleviates that risk with lightning grounding as it does with

RF
grounding.

Jack

Jack:

Alleviates? NO! Reduces somewhat, maybe, and that is one of the most
difficult things to get across to people with little theoretical knowledge.
Even if it were the perfectly conducting sphere so loved in textbooks,
impedance still exists, and the instantaneous voltage at point A will be
different from point B. All you are doing is increasing the current
carrying capability, so it is less likely to blow up due to a direct strike.
Instantaneous voltage difference with respect to a remote reference can
still rise to a gazillion volts, no matter how much copper you put in there,
or how you configure it.

--
Crazy George
Remove N O and S P A M imbedded in return address