Old October 13th 03, 11:27 PM
Jeff Renkin

So that answer would be, the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System.

So this system is installed on all boats and planes of all sizes both
private and commercial? I seriously doubt that.

Where it is needed, and a simple marine channel 16 radio would not be good
enough. Check into the rules and laws if you want a real good answer to this
question.

Satellites and GPS are far more reliable than HF. Keep in mind code

was
invented and used because there were no microphones invented yet.
Likewise, HF was ok before we had satellites and GPS. When a friend of
mine recently traveled overseas, I was able to track the entire flight

from
several free websites that you just enter in the flight number and you get

constant read out of speed, altitude, location and maps to show you

exactly
where the plane was the whole time. With technology like this, no one

even
needs to call for help anymore, when the signal stops, we know exactly

where
it was when it stopped and can go looking for it.

Why do so many people want to throw all this technology away and force
everyone to stay with antiquated forms of communication like HF and Morse
Code?

No we do not wish to throw away all the new technology. We want to keep a
viable communications mode in case that new technology fails.

Do you keep a horse in your garage in case your car fails? No one is going
to carry around an HF radio with a code key in case the real radio fails. If
anything, you would have an extra radio that would work on the same standard
emergency channels.

That is all.
The invention of the typewriter and later the word processor does not make
handwriting completely obsolete.

Try to send an email with handwriting on a piece of paper. Perhaps you
should post to these groups with handwriting too.

What next? Will they start a movement to force all of us to get rid of

our
washing machines and have to use old washboards instead so THEY will be

happy?

I for one, gladly embrace new technology that makes life easier and
better. Wanting to play around with HF and Morse Code for a hobby to

get a
nostalgic feeling of yesteryear is fine, but be realistic and don't come

up
with ridiculous ideas to force others to use it.

This new technology that you embrace was invented by the same people who
want to keep code.

Wow, what bull**** talk. It is the people who find code so easy to learn
that have the problems with the theory and technical stuff, so they can't design
or invent anything. And so many of the engineers that do design the
technology we use, are not allowed to operate hobby ham radios on certain
frequencies because they don't know morse code. Human society is a joke.

Complex infrastructures should always be backed up by
simple basic methods.

Yes, but talking into a microphone is the most simple basic method we have in
radio, using complex codes is what no one needs to know.

For the last time......

The military, police, fire, paramedics, etc. all do NOT learn or use morse code.

It has no use, even for back up or emergencies, or they would be using it.