Old October 13th 03, 11:44 PM
Jeff Renkin

The International Maritime Organization officially phased out Morse code Feb.
1 for ships in peril, replacing it with the high-tech Global Maritime Distress
and
Safety System.

FOR COMMERCIAL VESSELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, if you are out in your row boat, carry a channel 16 marine walkie talkie with
you.

So that answer would be, the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System.

Right...A guy on a 20 ft sailboat is going to buy a system that costs
more than his boat...

He doesn't need one, the VHF channel 16 radio will be good enough for as far as he
should ever be going out. And we don't feel sorry for stupid people who take
stupid risks, so them dying is how nature weeds out the weak and stupid.

Satellites and GPS are far more reliable than HF. Keep in mind code was
invented and used because there were no microphones invented yet.
Likewise, HF was ok before we had satellites and GPS. When a friend of
mine recently traveled overseas, I was able to track the entire flight from
several free websites that you just enter in the flight number and you get a
constant read out of speed, altitude, location and maps to show you exactly
where the plane was the whole time. With technology like this, no one even
needs to call for help anymore, when the signal stops, we know exactly where
it was when it stopped and can go looking for it.

How many people do you know with small private boats, that have the
normally COMMERCIALLY USED GMDSS system onboard? This is not a trick
question...You can take your time, if this hurts your brain.

None of my friends with small private boats go out farther than the range of the
channel 16 marine radios will cover. But yes, everyone I know does have a GPS
system on board. My friends don't fool around and like to have the best of
everything. If you can afford a boat, you can afford the fancy radios that go in
it.

Most people running 20 ft sailboats do not have the resources of
American Airlines, or a large shipping company.

And we don't have this stuff on our bicycles either, because it is not needed.
But if you are going to be in THE MIDDLE OF THE OCEAN, then yes, they ALL have this
stuff.

The only time the aircraft will be spitting out that info is if they

They ALL do it. The only flights that turned it off, were the ones on 9/11 that
were taken off line to purposely avoid detection. This is a requirement, not a
choice.

Why do so many people want to throw all this technology away and force
everyone to stay with antiquated forms of communication like HF and Morse
Code?

What next? Will they start a movement to force all of us to get rid of our
washing machines and have to use old washboards instead so THEY will be happy?

If we decided to change all commercial vessels back to 500kc morse, you
might have a point.

Or decided to make all ham operators in the year 2003 learn Morse Code before they
are allowed to use a microphone.

But we aren't ,

SURE you are.

I for one, gladly embrace new technology that makes life easier and
better.

Yea, I bet you will install all that stuff on a 20 ft sailboat.

No, just as you don't see any HF radios with code keys installed on them either.

You don't have a gas gauge on your bicycle either like on your car do you?

Be realistic. Row boats and canoes don't need this stuff.

I use all the latest technology too, but that doesn't mean I'm dumping
all my older ones just to look stylish.

Oh, then you DO have a washboard around and a horse in the garage.

The newer ones just add to the
ones I already have at my disposal.

Interesting. I don't use coal to heat my home.

Wanting to play around with HF and Morse Code for a hobby to get a
nostalgic feeling of yesteryear is fine, but be realistic and don't come up
with ridiculous ideas to force others to use it.

There is no one forcing anyone to do anything.

Oh yes there is. People who want to use microphones on HF are being FORCED to
learn morse code, even though they will never be using it or remembering it after
taking the test.

Trying to compare
requirements for a commercial marine system to amateur radio is
ridiculous.

I wasn't the one comparing HF morse code use on a commercial marine system. LOL!

You are the one that needs to get realistic.

ROLFFL!

People who bowl or play golf don't force everyone else to do that either.
Hams that use microphones don't tell morse code lovers they have to use
microphones, so why can't the stubborn headed morse code loving hams just
enjoy their hobbies without forcing everyone else in the world to do what THEY
want to do.