Old October 14th 03, 12:06 AM
matt weber

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 20:31:22 GMT, "Dee D. Flint"
wrote:

"Jeff Renkin" wrote in message
What are you going to use when HF propagation is too weak to support
voice???

That was already answered higher up in the thread, I will requote that

part:

The International Maritime Organization officially phased out Morse code

Feb.
1 for ships in peril, replacing it with the high-tech Global Maritime

Distress
and
Safety System.

So that answer would be, the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System.

So this system is installed on all boats and planes of all sizes both
private and commercial? I seriously doubt that.

It is legal requirement on all commercial vessels. In fact all
commercial vessels require a class I device, which means it will
deploy itself if the vessel goes down. Most Aircraft rafts also now
have them.

In pleasure craft, you are supposed to have one once you get to a size
that can get out of sight of land. The major advantage of these
systems is you don't have to know your position. The SARSAT system can
find you to within about 10km if you GMDSS isn't GPS equipped. If it
is GPS equipped, your position is transmitted along with the distress
call and your ID, and those signals are picked up by Geo Synchronous
sats as well as SARSAT birds, so the time from deployment to raising
the alarm world wide is on the order of 5 minutes. It is all
automatic. If you don't have GPS, it may take several SARSAT bird
passes to get a good fix. The 10Km number is plenty good enough, since
the 406Mhz GMDSS buoy also transmits a low power 121.5Mhz beacon to
home on. Obviously with GPS, there isn't much homing to be done. You
have a position that is probably good to about 10 meters.

Recently it became legal for GMDSS devices to be used other then at
sea. We now carry on Pains Wessex Fast Find Plus on a light aircraft.
Weighs about a pound, can be carried around your neck, and costs about
$900.

The bad news is these things are relatively pricey. Figure about $600
for a Class I without GPS, and about $900 with GPS, Class II, which
are not self deploying are a little less expensive. That about 4 times
what a 121.5Mhz device costs, but when you compare the capabilities,
it is worth every penny of it.

Satellites and GPS are far more reliable than HF.

AMEN. BTW, the 406Mhz transmitter in a GMDSS operates at 5 watts, and
406Mhz is not allocated to any other service, so it is 'clear
channel'.

Keep in mind code
was
invented and used because there were no microphones invented yet.
Likewise, HF was ok before we had satellites and GPS. When a friend of
mine recently traveled overseas, I was able to track the entire flight

from
several free websites that you just enter in the flight number and you get

constant read out of speed, altitude, location and maps to show you

exactly
where the plane was the whole time. With technology like this, no one

even
needs to call for help anymore, when the signal stops, we know exactly

where
it was when it stopped and can go looking for it.

Why do so many people want to throw all this technology away and force
everyone to stay with antiquated forms of communication like HF and Morse
Code?

No we do not wish to throw away all the new technology. We want to keep a
viable communications mode in case that new technology fails. That is all.
The invention of the typewriter and later the word processor does not make
handwriting completely obsolete.

What next? Will they start a movement to force all of us to get rid of

our
washing machines and have to use old washboards instead so THEY will be

happy?

I for one, gladly embrace new technology that makes life easier and
better. Wanting to play around with HF and Morse Code for a hobby to

get a
nostalgic feeling of yesteryear is fine, but be realistic and don't come

up
with ridiculous ideas to force others to use it.

This new technology that you embrace was invented by the same people who
want to keep code. Complex infrastructures should always be backed up by
simple basic methods.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE