Old May 13th 04, 11:47 PM
JGBOYLES

You may be thinking of a vertical close to 3/8 wave which
will be 50 -jx. The -jx (capacitance) can be resonated with a +jx in series
for a 50 ohm feedpoint.

Ken, we may be talking about two different things, but a 3/8 wave vertical
has inductive reactance, and the R component is no where near 50 ohms. A 2/8,
or 1/4 wave vertical has no reactance, shorter has -jx, and longer, as in 3/8
wave has +jx.
A .26 lambda vertical has about 50+j43 impedance, and the +j43 can be
cancelled with series 154pf at 24 MHZ. This is a common method of matching a
1/4 wave vertical to 50 ohms. Make it a little longer to look inductive,
50+jx, and cancel with a series cap.
According to all the theory I know on this stuff a 3/8 wave vertical will not
be as you describe.

73 Gary N4AST