Old November 15th 03, 03:21 AM
Soliloquy

"Ghost writer" wrote in
:

I didn't run that fast. I have no problem with the police motorcade or
escorts or whatever they refer to them as, or black wreaths, or black
bands over the badge, I simply make the point that if police or
firefighters feel that their jobs are too dangerous, quit and get
another job.

I also feel that worship of police is the wrong thing for society, since
their constraints on our behavior is what makes the police necessary to
a large degree. In other words, we are not allowed to defend ourselves,
or at least discouraged from doing such using lethal means. If we do,
even when justified, we will likely be arrested, and processed, and
hopefully acquitted. Contrast that to the increasing number of cases of
police shooting unarmed citizens, (someone reached for their wallet in
N.Y., and was shot 19 times (of 41 shots fired), one of the shots
piercing the foot from bottom to top, indicating that the person was
lying down at the point that the shot was fired, i.e., he died after
being hit the first 12 times or so and dropped like a rock, yet the
police continued to shoot at a man armed only with a wallet.) These cops
are put on paid leave, then subsequently aquited.

http://www.courttv.com/trials/diallo/index.html

"Officers cleared in Diallo shooting
After 23 hours of deliberations over three days, an Albany jury found
all four officers not guilty of all charges in connection with the
shooting of Amadou Diallo. The Feb. 25, 2000, verdict sparked protests
from supporters of the family, lawmakers and the Rev. Al Sharpton."

http://cgi.cnn.com/US/9902/05/police.shooting/

http://www.refuseandresist.org/resis...9nypdkill.html

These are not the people to be worshipped. Their past indicated
problems. All officers are not good people.

NO ACCOUNTABILITY. They wantonly kill, they get a vacation, they get
back pay, and they get their former positions.

These are not the kind of people to worship.

http://www.courttv.com/archive/natio...o/autopsy.html

Read the autopsy report, oops, the officers made a simple mistake, they
deprived an unarmed man of his life. **** happens.

These are not the kind of people to be worshipped.

Support (not worship) honest, hard working, well tempered officers. They
exist, by the legions. Oppose the kind of officers described above.
Demand that your local police (via your city government) purge this kind
of riffraff from their ranks. Don't make the mistake of becoming
infatuated with the unfettered support of law enforcement.
Accountability is the answer to assure that your friends and relatives
survive those inevitable encounters with the law. You wouldn't want your
wife or daughter pulled over by the likes of those reprobate officers
from N.Y. (those described above, not all N.Y. Officers)

Regards.

Oh, hit and run, eh????? Well, being a firefighter and previous medic,
I DON'T KNOW. I didn't make those rules. Maybe an old timer can answer
that. I'm too young to know why that tradition started. I feel
soldiers have the same rights as well! They're defending our honor and
freedoms. G.W.