Old November 15th 03, 08:17 PM
Frank

Clifton T. Sharp Jr. ...
^ Frank wrote:
^ Soliloquy .. .
^ ^ If the pay is so low, what attracts people to become
^ ^ police anyway?
^
^ The glory. The recognition as a hero. Just look at the
^ statement that someone else made in response to your
^ message:
^
^ "How many lives did you save last week?"
^
^ That was me. Never a cop, but I did do volunteer emergency
^ services work, and I didn't do it for glory or hero worship.

I think you should examine your motivation in making your statement "How many
lives did you save last week?". That statement would probably be made out of
jealousy or self-importance. Glory, self-importance, a desire for recognition
-- they're all basically the same in this context.

Why do people do dangerous jobs? Either for the glory, the money, or, more
rarely, because it is something important that must be done. Most of those
who think they are in the latter category only think it. Few people would
admit to themselves that they do something only for the glory it brings so
they convince themselves that they do it for the reasons that everyone thinks
they do it for. This is a defense mechanism that the brain handles with very
little, if any, conscious thought. And very few people will readily admit
that they do something because they want to be a hero.

Frank