Old November 15th 03, 08:22 PM
Ghost writer

"Frank" wrote in message
news:01c3ab6f$76e0cf30$0125250a@mxdulebfmqtxlczq.. .
Soliloquy .. .

^ If the pay is so low, what attracts people to become
^ police anyway?

The glory. The recognition as a hero. Just look at the statement that

someone
else made in response to your message:

"How many lives did you save last week?"

That is what attracts most people to dangerous jobs. If the money isn't

there
then it is for the glory. So we give them their glory.

Frank

For the record, there are no such things as BORN heros. NO ONE in their
right mind goes into the EMS/FIRE/POLICE service OR Military for that matter
to "BE" a hero. Usually the only "heros" are DEAD heros. ANYONE who goes in
to a scene regardless the type with the tunnel vision of becoming a hero, is
a hinderance to ALL at the scene. THEY lose track of all training, signs of
danger, and thus place themselves and/or many others in danger. SHOULD
someone save a life, they may be called a hero.. BUT YOU DON"T GO LOOKING
FOR IT. ANYONE who HAS joined the services for that reason are in it for the
WRONG reason. AND - I don't know about the other states, but here in PA, it
is at last check - 85% VOLUNTEER. WE DO NOT GET PAID to learn how to save
lives and property. Our families get little in return if we are disabled or
killed in the line of duty and we're no longer able to supply the income. WE
DO IT BECAUSE WE CARE. WE NEVER KNOW when that call minor or major as it be,
will be our last.

YOU WANT HEROS? Continue to look to the Sports arenas. THEY are too busy
trying to be heros. WE who take our jobs seriously - do NOT look to be
heros. Give us our due for doing our jobs paid or volunteer and call it a
day. G.W.