Old November 15th 03, 08:51 PM
James S. Prine

The mystical Frank, observer of humanity, sagely penned:

I spent 25 years working in dangerous jobs and being an observer of people
and their behaviors I've learned that most people go into a dangerous job for
the glory they perceive it will bring them.

I wish you'd provide some documentation on this interesting perception of
yours. What exactly did you do, to gain this insight?

Not trying to initiate a flame-war, mind you, but your perceptions and
experiences and mine are diametrically opposed, and it piques my curiosity.

Once they are in the job and have
gone through the education, the training, and the drills much of their desire
for glory is suppressed, but there is still enough of it there to keep them
from leaving the job.

You know, I've worked for a major municipal police department, and a few
smaller agencies, over the years. Nearly all of the agencies make it clear,
*very* early in the recruiting process, that glory, acclaim, etc., etc., have
nothing whatever to do with the job and, if one is seeking that, to go
elsewhere and save everyone a lot of time and trouble.

They literally try to persuade everyone from entering the job because of the
perceptions most civilians have about the work, due mainly to television and
idiotic thriller films.

I know that recently a major city department was hiring non-sworn (civilian)
personnel to work as crime scene technicians, and of course they had these
potential employees 'browse' through a color 'scrapbook' detailing exactly what
they'd be facing on the job.

Many of them left at that point, and many others left within the first week of
on-the-job training, which was the best for everyone involved.

Glory? LOL...don't make me laugh.

Again...if you want glory, go into professional sports. Or politics g.

James S. Prine
http://hometown.aol.com/jsprine/