Old November 15th 03, 10:45 PM
James S. Prine

WilleeCue wrote:

I think the big difference is that our public servants are expected not to
avoid or run from dangerous situations.

I know that in many departments, there is a specific mention of 'cowardice' in
the policy manuals, and failing to perform one's assigned duties because of
'fear' is reason for disciplinary action including termination of employment.

And of course, there are specific laws on the books (in certain jurisdictions)
that apply specifically to law enforcement officers (including unpaid
volunteers), and not other public service personnel, which the non-sworn person
doesn't have to bother with.

Check also into the "Garrity Rule", which is highly interesting. After all,
who said that one has to give up one's civil rights just because one is
employed as a law enforcement official? Most police departments apparently
feel that way, hence the "Garrity Rule" for officers.

James S. Prine
http://hometown.aol.com/jsprine/