Old November 16th 03, 02:48 AM
Ghost writer

Just suffice it to say, there is no room in the Police, EMS, Fire OR
Military for people who "try" to be HEROES. It only ends up getting them or
others killed or seriously hurt. As I said, they in their quest, lose all
track of training, danger signals and so on.
IT DOESN'T PAY. You want to be or see a hero, look to sports. You want
glory, look to sports or Politics - as another also pointed out as well. IT
DOESN'T BELONG in the Emergency or Military areas. People may come in with
that in mind, but as one man pointed out, TRAINERS do their damndest to
chase that out of the services. WE can't stop people from seeking glory or
wanting to be a hero, but we sure don't need them either. As stated, it puts
us all at risk. When the tones go off, I do my job. Will I end up a hero? I
don't know nor do I care. I go to do the job required. Will I come back
alive or unhurt? I don't know, but I can rely on my skills to try to assure
that. I'd rather be alive to help another day than to be a hero and risk
getting myself or others killed or seriously hurt in the process.

As to budget cuts, most everyone is experiencing them. Crime is up and it
will take longer for a response from Police with fewer working. Here, even
the State Police are swamped with calls due to providing coverage in areas
where local police aren't available - plus their own State assigned areas.
They've even had response times of about 45 minutes. Calls are prioritized.
They can only do so much and if it is a nasty call, it will tie up more for
longer periods of time...

As one man pointed out, where is the "heroism or glory" of scraping up one's
remains? THERE ISN'T. I've done it a few times and it is very sad and
disgusting. If you get a "thrill" out of that, you got a serious problem.
G.W.