Old November 17th 03, 12:08 AM
Frank

Clifton T. Sharp Jr. ...

^ I've been on the scene when a firefighter saved a life
^ by pulling someone from a burning building. I've also
^ been there when firefighters cried because they couldn't
^ pull someone, or discovered a lifeless body.

^ I can tell you that the latter guys weren't crying
^ because of missed glory.

No, of course not. They behaved as most humans would. But I wasn't talking
about how people behave in their jobs or how well they perform them. What I
was describing is one of the primary reasons why people seek dangerous jobs.
For glory. And as I said, much of that is suppressed in most people after
their education and training. In addition, since you brought it up, the
reason someone takes a job does not necessarily affect how they perform the
job.

^ Frank:
^ Why do people do dangerous jobs? Either for the glory, the
^ money, or, more rarely, because it is something important
^ that must be done.

^ I wasn't a hero, I was the guy covering the
^ omission. It was all stuff someone had to do
^ and no one was doing it.

^ I've been in the "hero" spot once or twice and all it does
^ is confuse me.

^ It never seemed to me that I had done anything exceptional
^ at all ...

^ To me, it seemed like any other little task I'd done ...

Were we discussing you or are you seeking glory?

Frank