Old November 20th 03, 12:44 PM
Frank

FAE LLV#11 . ..

^ ...there are 6 groups of freqs. for the riverside county
^ sheriffs dept. these are apparently broken down by
^ repeater sites.

Each of those groups covers a geographic area and each group is called a
subsystem of the county-wide communications system. The Riverside County
system is split by San Jacinto mountain. If you are always on one side of the
mountain you won't need the subsystems on the other side. If you are only
concerned about one geographic area, Moreno Valley for example, you will only
need that one subsystem. But storing all subsystems on your side of the
mountain is helpful because they often go down (due to failure or
maintenance) so you could shift to a more distant subsystem to hear the same
traffic.

^ ... each has a channel "1" in them. If I wanted to monitor
^ more than 1 group of freqs. for a different geographical area.
^ Would i need to put them in a different bank to keep with the
^ channel 1 being first in the bank?

Yes. For example:

BANK 0 Subsystem 2A
Ch000 blank
Ch001 866.31250
Ch002 866.81250
Ch003 867.31250
Ch004 868.31250
Ch005 867.81250
Ch006 blank
Ch007 868.81250

BANK 1 Subsystem 2B
Ch100 blank
Ch101 866.23750
Ch102 866.73750
Ch103 867.23750
Ch104 867.73750
Ch105 868.23750
Ch106 866.78750
Ch107 868.73750
Ch108 867.28750
Ch109 868.26250
Ch110 868.71250

BANK 2 Subsystem 1A
Ch200 blank
Ch201 866.21250
Ch202 866.26250
Ch203 866.71250
Ch204 866.76250
Ch205 867.21250
Ch206 867.71250
Ch207 868.21250
Ch208 867.26250
Ch209 868.26250
Ch210 868.71250

Each of those banks would be set to ED mode and each of those frequencies
would also be set to ED mode. The control channel in each subsystem changes
as needed by the computer that controls the system, but you need not worry
about this since your radio will detect and use the appropriate frequency for
control.

^ I found the information for the DEC display for the
^ edacs on another website, at least I have an idea of
^ whos talking now.

That web site probably has some frequencies listed incorrectly. Try the
frequencies I have above.

The EDACS system can patch one channel (talk group) to another and both
channels will be assigned a new talk group ID during the patch. So if you're
listening to a pursuit on the Moreno Valley channel and everyone suddenly
disappears, that channel was probably patch together with an adjacent
geographic area so that units in both areas can follow the pursuit without
having to change channels. To find out where everyone is, set the bank to
OPEN (FUNC, 5). When you hear the same traffic press and HOLD the TRUNK
button (2 seconds) until it beeps and you will be locked onto that channel
(talk group).

Frank