Old November 22nd 03, 08:22 AM
John Doty

In article , "Wes Stewart"
wrote:

|Seriously, for your purposes you did nothing wrong. Just don't call
|reciprocity a "law", OK? It's a useful idea of wide applicability, but
|physics does not require it in general. Calling it a law confuses
people.

I never made that statement.

Oops, you're right.. It was "w4jle". But you took his side :-)

See, one of the groups this got cross-posted to is an *Amateur Radio
Antenna* group. I'm reading and writing it from this group and
commenting from that perspective. I normally don't cross post but did
the first one by accident and since I've developed such a loyal
following I didn't want to lose anybody G.

But we were discussing Frank's observation:

It's been my experience that an antenna used for receiving will function
satisfactorily over a much broader range of conditions (environment,
antenna length, etc.) than it will if used for transmitting under those
same conditions.

Certainly below 30 MHz this is represents a correct observation,
verifiable both by calculation and experiment. Why should this reality
change with the newsgroup?

Tall tree? What's a tall tree? The best I have is some 35 foot tall
Saguaro cactii. They're a bitch to climb, although when the coyotes
went after the cat, she managed. Let's see, I could tie a string to the
cat's tail and find a coyote.....

Sounds like you're in "Beverage on the ground" territory. That works too,
I'm told (I live next to a swamp, so the tall maples are my friends :-).
I've never tried a Beverage on the ground, although I have used a long
skinny island as a slot antenna (worked very well from longwave through
tropical bands, useless above 10 MHz).