Old November 23rd 03, 03:51 AM
matt weber

On Fri, 21 Nov 2003 12:13:21 GMT, "Dwight Stewart"
wrote:

"Mark Keith" wrote:
Jeff Renkin wrote:

The International Maritime Organization (snip)

FOR COMMERCIAL VESSELS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So that answer would be, the Global Maritime
Distress and Safety System.

Right...A guy on a 20 ft sailboat is going to buy a
system that costs more than his boat...Good
grief....Get a grip. (snip)

In much of the world, it isn't an option, and at this point, a GMDSS
beacon without GPS, but with auto deployment is about 600USD.

Forr about $950 you get one with a GPS built in.

That my frined, is very cheap life insurance.

You trip off a GPS equipped GMDSS, and within 5 minutes, half the
world will know it has gone off. In addition because GMDSS beacons
have ID's, they will know who/what you are as well, and on the GPS
equipped versions, will know where you are +/- about 30 meters.

By contrast, EPIRB 121.5Mhz systems may take several hours to come
with a good fix on your location, and tell the authorities nothing
about the unit that has gone off.

Given the choice between a 121.5Mhz EPIRB and a 406Mhz GMDSS, I'll
take the GMDSS anytime and everytime.