Old December 9th 03, 09:30 PM
AES/newspost

Default Antenna cable loss query

I guess this is the age-old "what's the perfect all-band antenna plus
cable" question.

Want to install a single (or maybe two) not too large or fancy small
whip-type "all-band" antennas on the eaves of a residence and run cables
to BNC jacks inside, for scanner listening in the 25-50 MHz, 100-160
MHz, and 450-490 MHz bands, and am trying to decide between a less
desirable antenna and scanner location but with only about 3 to 4 meters
of cable run, or a more desirable location for antenna and scanner but
with maybe 7 to 10 meters (25 to 30 feet) of cable run.

Question is, if I use good 50 ohm coax how serious would the cable
losses be for 20 to 30 feet of cable in the above bands (with the
100-160 MHz band probably the one of most interest)?

Thanks for any suggestions or pointers, on cable loss or specific
antenna models.