Old December 12th 03, 09:58 AM
Steve Silverwood

In article , says...
For starters, most hams that put up towers with elaborate antenna systems
would take them down when they moved (unless they became a silent key),
because these things are not petty investments, they cost a lot of money.
Some installations cost more than a new mid-sized car.

True. I've seen some pretty elaborate antenna farms, even here in
suburban Orange County, CA -- some even in my neighborhood. (Only part
of our neighborhood is condos, the rest being single-family residences
(houses), and the latter have some pretty nice antenna installations.)

The installation of
the tower itself is held to much higher standard by law than the house
itself is.

Sad but true.

And again, unlike someone who puts up an old car on blocks, or paints their
home in rainbow glow paint, hams perform a public service. There currently
exists a rule within the FCC that disallows municipalities preventing
amateur operators from erecting antennas, and a similar rule for CC&R's is
in the works.

At least, we hope it's still "in the works." How long has that been
rattling around the halls of Congress now, two years? Any bets on which
comes on the scene first in the US: a code-free amateur radio service,
or a PRB-1 bill to cover CC&Rs?

--

-- //Steve//

Steve Silverwood, KB6OJS