Old December 16th 03, 06:39 AM
Dwight Stewart

"mike" wrote:
"Frank Bals" wrote:
Can the NiMH batteries be charged
inside the scanner or just the NiCad
rechargeable type?

it will take a bit longer, but no problems.
(dif capacity) in simple terms without
going into too much tech stuff in almost
all applications, they can directly replace
nicads.

That's not been my experience, Mike. In most cases, it has taken
considerably longer to charge NiMH batteries in chargers designed
exclusively for NiCad batteries. And, in some cases, there have been
problems with proper charger operation - ranging from chargers never turning
off, resulting in overcharged batteries if not supervised, to some "smart"
chargers refusing to charge the NiMH batteries at all.

In general (there are always exceptions), a person should use a charger
designed for the batteries being charged. There are many chargers today,
internal and external, designed to accept both NiCad and NiMH batteries.
Older equipment usually doesn't offer this dual capability.

I've tried charging NiMH batteries in the Pro-43. The batteries never
reached a full charge, even after almost two full days of charging. At that
point, I gave up and went back to standard NiCads.

Dwight Stewart (W5NET)

http://www.qsl.net/w5net/