Old May 18th 04, 11:30 AM
Mark Keith

Dan Richardson wrote in message . ..
On Mon, 17 May 2004 10:42:49 -0500, (Richard
Harrison) wrote:
[snip]
Power varies as the square of the voltage. One can see the difference in
the field strength is hardly worth the effort for an amateur to try to
increase the length of his antenna. It`s about a 3 dB gain from 1/4-wave
to 5/8 wave.

[snip]

The 3 dB gain figure is valid when mounted on theoretical perfect
ground. For a ground-plane elevated above real ground you'll find the
gain to be rarely greater than 1 dB.

Dunno. My real world tests don't quite agree. In using 30 mile ground
wave tests across town, I tested 1/4 GP's, 1/2 waves including
decoupling sections, and a 5/8 GP with 3/4 wave radials. All at 36 ft.
The 5/8 ate the 1/4 GP for lunch. Probably 2 plus S units better than
the 1/4 GP. The 5/8 beat the 1/2 wave by 1.5 S units. And this was
tested and repeated over a period of months. Never varied. Ground wave
testing is quite stable, and accurate for those low angles involved.
Much more accurate than trying to compare using constantly varying
skywaves. In real world gains, thats more than 1 db. 5/8 antennas are
weird animals. On 2m, they suck. On HF, they can do fairly well, cuz
the angles involved are not as critical. I used a 5/8 GP on 17m for
2-3 years. "also at 36 ft at the base".
It mangled every other antenna I had on that band. On 10m, the 5/8
beat any other length radiator quite handily. Again, on the critical
2m band, peeeyooooo.....they stink. BTW, on skywave, using a quick A/B
test, all preferred the 5/8, over the other antennas. So it wasn't a
low angle ground wave fluke. MK