Old May 18th 04, 08:38 PM
Reg Edwards

"Mike Coslo" wrote
I have a dipole hung from trees in my yard. I am going to lengthen my
dipole by hanging more wire off the end. Will I be better off to run the
wires to other trees, kind of creating a Z shape, or a C shape, or is it
just as well to allow the ends to dangle?

- Mike KB3EIA -

=============================

Depending on how much longer your antenna will be, you may notice a modest
improvement in signal strengths on the lowest frequency band. But you might
notice a small decrease in signal strengths on the highest frequency band.
On the other hand, you may notice nothing at all except a change in tuner
settings. But a change in tuner settings can be beneficial.

I would prefer a Z or C shape. This maintains a high average height for the
antenna and so increases the probabilty of improvement in signal strengths.

The directions in which the ends are extended will have a slight effect on
radiation patterns which you will NOT be aware of. As your dipole is
non-rotatable it won't matter anyway. For practical purposes, taking one
band with another, you can still refer your antenna as being
omni-directional.

Reciprocity ensures whatever happens on receive will apply equally to
transmit.
----
Reg, G4FGQ