Old January 9th 04, 12:57 AM
Frank

Dale Parfitt ...

^ If by Tee, we are not talking about s proper 2 way splitter,
^ the loss at certain freqs can easily be 20 dB or higher.

^ This would be where a coaxial line to the other radio
^ appears open and is also a 11/4 wave electrically-

Do you mean the frequency that the length of the patch cable is electrically
eleven-fourths waves? If so, then just keep the length of the patch cable
less than:

300/FREQ*11/4

So for 868 MHz:

300/868*11/4=0.95m

A little shorter than a meter. No problem. Just use the formula on the
highest frequency you receive.

^ In addition, phase noise, and L.O. leakage from each radio
^ can be impressed on the other, raising the noise floor.

I've been running multiple scanners on an antenna for many years now and I
have not noticed ANY additional noise and no apparent local oscillator
trouble. The only problem I've observed is minor signal loss that is only
apparent when receiving very weak signals.

^ This is very poor engineering practice- and not good
^ amateur practice.

No, good amateur practice is to buy the most expensive antenna system you can
afford -- for transmitting.

^ CATV/MATV splitters usually have good preformance down to
^ HF; i.e. insertion loss, splitter balance, and port-port
^ isolation.

Thanks! But don't they come with F-type connectors? The loss from BNC to
F-type adapters that would be necessary would probably nullify any benefit.

Frank