Old January 22nd 04, 06:42 AM
W4JLE

RG6 is a fairly low loss cable, at the extreme of 2.2 GHz it is 9.7 dB loss
per 100 feet. Most preamps are in the order of 10 to 20 dB. Considering that
most of us listen below 1 GHz where the loss is even lower, I would
respectfully disagree with your conclusions.

I use 50 feet of RG6 and a scantenna and have no problem picking up anything
within my radio horizon.

I have never used a preamp.

"The Orchardist" wrote in message
On 20 Jan 2004 17:03:46 -0800, (Jim) wrote:

Is there a good scanner preamp out there? I bought one of those coax
inline jobs from RS and it did nothing at all for my BC 245 or my BC
9000.

If you are using RG6 cable and a tv amplifier, you are probably not
even making up for the cable and connector losses with the
added amplifier.

If your antenna is unity gain, you actually have a signal LOSS
by the time it gets to your scanners.