Old January 24th 04, 05:11 AM
Matt

"Frank" wrote in message
news:01c3e1c3$47fa8aa0$0125250a@noylptghgnznzstp.. .
Jim Mac Donald ...

^ You may want to add an antenna tuner to the long wire ,I fully
^ understand that this is a RECEIVE ONLY application. The tuner
^ will help even when just receiving! Here's a source

The lowest priced tuner there is $80! I doubt that the little improvement

you
get will be worth that much.

Frank

Depends on how much you are willing to spend. Personally I have antennas up
for most bands that I want to listen to - however I did notice a big
difference in signal strength when I tuned up my 40m dipole on 15 metres
versus using the 40m antenna without the tuner - signal strength was
significantly better (around the 4-5 "S" points higher). Same thing when I
tuned up my 10 metre vertical for 15m.
I have just about exhausted all room for antennas on my block, so as I
cannot put any more up, a tuner will likely be the only way to go
Guess that it depends on whether you want to hear the lower down signals or
not.

Matt