Old January 24th 04, 08:44 AM
c.foster

i use an antenna tuner with all my radios and i find that on some bands you
get little to no improvement and on other bands you can get 3 or 4 "s"
points of improvement.
if you want to make one just go to radio havana cuba's website and look in
arnie corro's section and he has all the plans for building one or two
different antenna tuners.

chuck

"Matt" wrote in message
"Frank" wrote in message
news:01c3e1c3$47fa8aa0$0125250a@noylptghgnznzstp.. .
Jim Mac Donald ...

^ You may want to add an antenna tuner to the long wire ,I fully
^ understand that this is a RECEIVE ONLY application. The tuner
^ will help even when just receiving! Here's a source

The lowest priced tuner there is $80! I doubt that the little

improvement
you
get will be worth that much.

Frank

Depends on how much you are willing to spend. Personally I have antennas

up
for most bands that I want to listen to - however I did notice a big
difference in signal strength when I tuned up my 40m dipole on 15 metres
versus using the 40m antenna without the tuner - signal strength was
significantly better (around the 4-5 "S" points higher). Same thing when

tuned up my 10 metre vertical for 15m.
I have just about exhausted all room for antennas on my block, so as I
cannot put any more up, a tuner will likely be the only way to go
Guess that it depends on whether you want to hear the lower down signals

or
not.

Matt