Old May 20th 04, 10:02 AM
Mark Keith

Claude Frantz wrote in message ...
Many thanks for all the responses.

I remember that in the experiment I have mentioned, the coupling to the
tree was via an toroidal coil which was mounted around the tree, the
tree beeing in the axis.

Sure, a tree cannot be a good antenna. Any "real" antenna will probably
always be better. But often the question is: no antenna at all or
anything which does not seem to be an antenna. Perhaps a tree can be
such a thing. Further, in portable operation, it is not always easy to
install a "real" antenna.

Claude

I've seen advertising in QRT for the latest new miracle sticks:

*SAPSUCKER 2000T®*.

and the mighty:

*BARKBURNER 9000TRX-DX®*

Note that the ground qualities will enhance automatically by using
such an treetenna. That is because most all dogs will stop and urinate
against the base of said device. Add a few beer drinking buddies to
the party, and you will be a dx chipper in no time. Squirrels can add
nests, which will act as additional top loading.
Beware of tree beetles, infections, etc.. After a while the treetenna
could become a:
*STUMPSTICK*
Gasp!
These have been proven to be inferior radiators due to the *stumphole
effect* to the rf as it encounters the many rings in the tree stump.
These proceed to turn the rf round and round ,like flushing a toilet,
and ploink, you blow the finals in your rig, due to a massive
*wormwood* pulse that flows back along your feeder to the rig and your
operating position. Usually a desk or table made of wood, which
further increases the potential of damage to the station.

MK